The church dedicated to the Saviour's Configuration ("Metamorfosi tou Sotira") is built in the middle of "Palio Chorio" ("Old Village"). It was constructed in the 15 th century (1520) and it has the same architectural style as the other two small churches of the village, that of "Panagia Theotokos" and that of Saint George "Perachoritis". Up until 1994, liturgies were conducted daily since it was considered as the village's main church.
It is a rectangular church of the Basilica style and with elements of the Byzantine style. It can accommodate up to 100-150 faithful. Externally it is made of stone and whitewashed.
The inhabitants built extensions to the church in 1880 and 1960 because the village was continuously growing. When they dug the floor they discovered many pieces of frescoes, which surely came from this church. Indeed, they were able to read the name of the hagiographer who was named Symeon Afxentis. He is known for his frescoes of the "Panagia Theotokos" and "Archangel" churches in the village of Galata.
The icon screen is woodcut, as also are the two Psalters that can be found in the church.
There are various remarkable representations dating back to the 16 th and 17 th century. The icon screen is of various different chronologies. The following have archaeological significance:
The Bema Doors. It portrays the Annunciation of the Virgin Mary and -below -the Prelates Vasileios, Gregorios, and Nikolaos.
The Crucifixion. A quite good work of Byzantine art from the 16 th century.
The icon of Christ. It is large and portable. This icons was transferred from the country church of "Panagia Apotheriotissa".
The icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary. It is a very beautiful icon. It was also transferred here from the aforementioned country church.
The icon of Archangel Michael. It is a very old icon, probably of the 16 th century. It is painted upon a hard membrane and it is portable.
The icon of St George. It was transferred here from the country church of St George and it is of excellent craftsmanship.
Nowadays a liturgy takes place in it 5-6 times a year. The icon dedicated to the Saviour, which is not very old, is placed on a special kneeling desk at the centre of the church.
It celebrates on the 6 th of August when His holy icon is carried about in procession.