In the middle of the village and quite close to the "Panagia Odegetria" church, stands the small church of "Agios Sozomenos". It is a single-aisle church that is surrounded on three sides by galleries, which are covered by the same roof that covers the church. Its internal dimensions are 11,80 x 3,79 metres. It has a roof "saddled" with tile plates, like almost all of the old churches in the Troodos region because of the great snowfall and the voluminous rainfall.
According to the founder's inscription it was constructed in 1513: " + THE HOLY CHURCH OF THE SAINT AND OUR FATHER SOZOMENOS WAS RAISED AFTER DONATIONS AND EXPENCES BY KIROU IOANNOU ANAGNOSTOU AND NOMIKOU TEMPRIAS PAPATHEODOROS AND PNEVMATIKOS IOANNIS MAXIMOS ARGYROS OF KALOGYROU TZORTZES OF KALOGYROU KYRIAKOS OF ERINYS STZANYS OF MILLOMENOU YIOTIS OF MILLOMENOU. KOSTIS OF MILLOMENOU. STAKOS OF KALOGYROU, PAPAIOANNIS OF SIMONES, DEMETRES OF KOSTAS, GIORGOS OF KYRIAKOU, AND HIS BROTHER PARASKEVAS, ALL HAVING THE SAME SHARE, ARE THE 13 FOUNDERS AND WISH FOR THEM THROUGH THE LORD, AMEN. COMPLETED IN THE 3 RD OF THE MONTH SEPTEMBER 1513 BY THE HAND OF SYMEON AXENTIS. + THE CHURCH IS A HEAVEN ON EARTH WHERE THE HEAVENLY GOD RESIDES AND INDWELLS AND SAUNTERS REPLICATING THE CRUCIFIXION AND BURIAL AND RESURRECTION OF CHRIST "
The entire temple as well as the external side of the north wall has been decorated with frescoes. The internal ones -almost all of them -have been cleaned in 2002 and 2003 and are excellent. They include illustrations from the life of the Lord, of the Virgin Mary, as well as of many saints, martyrs, prelates, holy persons, hermits, and scenes from the Old Testament.
Among them, the icon of St. George stands out, covering an area of ten square feet. It depicts Saint George on horseback, striking an oversized dragon with red wings and a tail tied in a knot around his horse's leg. The princess has tied the dragon by the neck with a rope and is dragging it toward the palace. The King extends the keys toward the victorious Saint while the Queen is observing the events. Trumpet bearers, standing by her side, sound their trumpets. Under the icon the following is recorded: "Prayer of the Lord's servant Georgios Maximos and his wife and their children, Amen, by the hand of Symeon Axentis". Further on, on the north wall there are scenes from the Life of the Virgin Mary taken from the Apocryphal Gospel of Jacob, brother of Christ, the Prayer of Joachim, the Embrace of Joachim and Anna, the Birth of the Virgin Mary, and others. The series ends with a very large depiction, which has the Assumption of the Virgin Mary as its subject. The Virgin Mary is in her deathbed. Up above the sky is covered by the Apostles that arrive in a cloud guided by an angel. Christ, surrounded by angels, is embracing the Virgin Mary's soul, as if it is a swathed infant. In the Holy Bema, at the apse's quadrant, the Virgin Mary is depicted in a stance of prayer amongst the Archangels and -below -the Hierarchs (Prelates). In the north external wall, the Second Coming is depicted with the Righteous Judge in a throne surrounded by the twelve Apostles, having the just to His right and the sinners to His left. Then follows a large icon of "Riza Iessai" (Root of Jesse), depicting Christ's family tree. Finally, two zones of representations follow -the eight Ecumenical Councils of the Eastern Orthodox Church. They are the only frescoes in Cyprus depicting the Ecumenical Councils.
St. Sozomenos was a Cypriot and was the Bishop of Karpasia. His memory is celebrated on the 20 th of November. There is a silver reliquary in which the relics of St. Sozomenos are kept.